Sunday, February 18, 2007

It would be cool if

I could get the playlist of tracks I wanted to buy burnt onto a CD with a professionally printed label and package insert and posted to me.

While Cover Flow gives the illusion of the physicality of flipping through a stack of CD's, there is nothing like the real thing. I remember when the most popular way to get your musical fix was on 12" black plastic discs.

With all opinions about how we should get our music, we'd do well not to forget to enjoy our music.

Rob Fleming, Nick Hornby's anti-hero in High Fidelity says:

"Is it so wrong, wanting to be at home with your record collection? It's not like collecting records is like collecting stamps, or beermats, or antique thimbles. There's a whole world in here, a nicer, dirtier, more violent, more peaceful, more colourful, sleazier, more dangerous, more loving world than the world I live in; there is history, and geography, and poetry, and countless other things I should have studied at school, including music."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments: